Sunday, September 21, 2008

September 21st



This week was a jam packed show, with four interviews all said and done.

I'd had a catch up with Josh Pyke earlier in the week when he came and visited us at the City Village. He arrived at the studio, got his guitar out and promptly serenaded me. I did manage to remember to hit record on the old technological laptop machine but it was quite the magical moment. Lucky me!

We had a lovely chinwag about his passion for production, whether the chicken or the egg came first (the chicken - they evolved out of the sea apparently), and nerves before gigs. Top bloke, highly recommend hanging out with him if you get the chance. 

I also had a yack on the phone with Tim from Tim Loydell and the Deckchairs about their new EP Some Stranger's Ship, and the tour they're on to raise funds for the Red Cross. Lovely rootsy stuff, check them out if you have a chance.

As it was one of the highlights of the Melbourne musical calendar - High Vibes Festival in High Street Northcote, the day of days to wrap up the Darebin Music Feast, I also got on the blower to Jana, previously of the program Scratch and Distort on JOY, to give us a live phone cross and get a feel for how things were going. The entire street was packed with punters, with hundreds of gigs in the unlikeliest of places. Laura Jean was going to be doing a show at the barber shop, as one does, all I know is the next day it looked like Nothing Ever Happened there, despite the Northcote Mardi Gras extravaganza which had occurred the night before. It's eerie.

The second hour of the program was all about the wonderful Tania Bosak, who had come in to chat about her Fringe Festival show Supper at Stanley's. Tania has a fascinating background and CV as long as an elephant's tusk. She has worked in the entertainment industry for the past 18 years as an actor, musician, theatre director, stand up comic, composer, has worked with STOMP, studied African drumming and dance in Senegal, Indian dance in India, and is in the process of writing a feature film. 




You can catch Tania Bosak and the Moods Ensemble in the Melbourne International Fringe Feastival performing in Supper at Stanley's, one night only at the Northcote Uniting Church this coming Saturday the 27th of September. There's going to be an eight piece band on stage with her, and a divine mix of jazz and eastern European musical stylings. I can't wait!

Music Log

First hour
  • Josh Pyke - Middle Of The Hill
  • Josh Pyke - Memories and Dust
  • Josh Pyke - The Lighthouse Song (live on Local and Vocal)
  • Tim Loydell and the Deckchairs - My Oh My
  • Tim Loydell and the Deckchairs - Rainsong
  • John Butler Trio - Better Than
  • The Cat Empire - So Many Nights
  • Architecture in Helsinki - Hold Music

Second Hour
  • Tania Bosak - The Seven Powers
  • Tania Bosak - No Goodtime Fairies
  • Tania Maria - Yatra Ta
  • Svrai - Stacy's Recenitsa
  • Steve Turre - African Shuffle
Music Obsession of the Week

Still on Josh Pyke. I had a blast at his gig on Thursday night, I'm enchanted by his lyricism and would love to see an Auslan interpreter on stage with him trying to keep up without their hands bursting into flame. I've also been sinking my teeth into Xavier Rudd's latest offering Dark Shades of Blue. I wasn't too sure at first, it felt a lot rockier than the XRudd I was used to, but I really lost myself in it this morning on the train in that good fun going to planet X by way of groovetown. I'll spin some tracks from it next week. Would love to hear what you think of it.

Speaking of next week.. I'll have the director of the Queenscliff Music Festival coming in to speak about what's coming up in this musical extravaganza that happens each November. There's a stellar line up this year, including Josh Pyke (how many times can I mention him in one blog entry?), Kate Miller-Heidke, Collard Greens and Gravy, Josh Owen, Jackson Jackson, The Audreys, Abbe May, Frankie Wants Out, and Tripod are standing out as highlights for me thus far. Ripper. 

Still a klutz
Thanks for everyone who spoke to me during the week about being a dork and falling off my bike, I did end up picking it up a few days later and got to ride it home down the massive hill, Evil Knieval style. It was one of those cold spring days where the air is ripe with jasmine and woodsmoke. Awesome. 

A few days later I was running around the park with my dogs Monkey Magic and Happy Jesus (he walks on water), and they conspired together to trip me up and I fell flat on my face. I haven't had a good faceplant in quite some time, and boy am I sore from it. Scraped my knee a beauty and it seems I just keep adding to the collection of colourful bruises on my legs. Makes me think of the Tripod song Fear Of Shorts.

Even when it's hot when it's really really hot, nah : Fear of shorts. 
Even when your girlfriend says you like fine, nah : Fear of shorts. 

I think that's all I have to say about that. G'day to Georgie who was listening in whilst gallivanting around St Kilda without a pen, hope the music log here is helpful and you had a top day south side. Thanks for tuning in.

Have a great week everyone, I have a head cold and I'm currently rugged up the wazoo, covered in warm dogs and season 5 of the L word to get into. By the way what the hell is with Jenny, why does she have to be such a Toolio Iglacius, and why does she have to have the same name as me? I could really do with some ginger tea but it's all the way over there and my go go gadget arm doesn't seem to be working. This is the worst thing that has ever happened to anyone.

(I am the grouchiest sick person of all time. I whine, complain, and blame everyone who's nice to me for everything. Here's hoping it pips off ASAP).

PEACE OUT. 
xo

No comments: