Monday, September 1, 2008

August 31st - Walking To Winter

It was the final show of the winter season on JOY, so what better group to have in as my feature artist than Walking to Winter.

This Melbourne group are renowned for their optimistic, uplifting tunes and lush lady harmonies. Alfy, Emily and Grant came in to represent the band on the night.

MUSIC LOG

First hour - feature artist's choices

  • Walking To Winter - Face The Scream
  • Walking To Winter - Loveless
  • Soko - Take My Heart
  • Vanessa Carlton - White Houses
  • In Fiction -Motor Running
  • Walking To Winter - I Know

Second hour - Jenny's mish mash
  • Skipping Girl Vinegar - Sift The Noise
  • Josh Owen Band - Can I Get A Witness
  • Liz Stringer - Alone
  • Laura Jean - I'm A Rabbit I'm A Fox
  • Princess One Point Five - Burn
  • Augie March - Watch Me Disappear
  • Blue King Brown - Moment Of Truth
  • The Blush Foundation - Mass Kaos
  • Frankie Wants Out - Don't Play Dice With The Devil
  • Jackson Jackson - The International Society Of Bad Dancers
  • Hand Hell - F-F-Fashion
  • Holly Throsby trifecta - As The Night Dies, The Shoulders and Bends, A Heart Divided
COMING UP ON LOCAL AND VOCAL

Sunday September 7 - new time of 1-3 pm, following the mighty Allegro Non Troppo with Addam and Peter.

Laura Jean will be my feature artist this week, fresh off the Broad tour, to discuss her latest release Eden Land, time with Deb Con and what the deal is with gay marriage. The second hour will see a few lasses from Girl Interpreted come in and talk about why music should be a more visual experience.

All that and some choice tracks for good measure.

ALBUM OBSESSION OF THE WEEK

It's no secret that I'm a massive fan of Liz Stringer, and I'm stoked to have her new album Pendulum on high rotation in the car, the loungeroom, the iPod, my internal jukebox and also on Local and Vocal.

Her second album is true to form - soulful, authentic music from one of the most talented chicks in Melbourne. It's peppered with plentiful and powerful images of water, much like the first album Soon. My favourite tracks on this album are Over The Sea and Alone (tracks 1 and 6). These are noticably stripped back, with Alone starting a capella and Over The Sea building subtly to a wonderful crescendo which can be likened to reaching the crest of a wave and crumbling into the frothy water in an ecstatic melty puddle.

Cheesy metaphors ahoy! What can I say, I'm ga ga for this music. Tune in to the show and you're pretty much guaranteed I'll play a track from over the next few weeks. Better yet, go buy your own copy and support a hard working woman whilst brightening up your life at the same time. DO IT.

HAPPY TUMMY MOMENT

I received a handwritten letter in the mail at the studios this week. Who takes the time to hand write letters anymore? Lovely people like Joseph from Ivanhoe, that's who. No email, no phone number, just putting the love out there and asking for nothing in return. That's good feng shui right there.

Joseph sent through a CD of a band he saw at a party, Late for Breakfast. He thought they were great and should be played on the radio so he sent me a copy. I really appreciate the gesture, the music is fantastic, a really smooth jazzy sound, and I'll definitely be giving it a spin in the coming weeks. Thanks Joseph!

Hope you're having a tip top day everyone out there in bloggy blog land,
Jen
xo

No comments: