Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sunday November 23rd

With a tear in my eye and a fondness in my heart I hung up my local and vocal headphones today for about three months, doing something a bit different over summer (tune in 5 pm Sundays for more info from December).

Heading to Queenscliff Music Festival next weekend so the spunky boys from Three Chords and the Truth will be filling in for me again next week before launching into their own season 1-3 Sundays.

This week a new website was launched, head to blacklist.org.au if you'd like any information about the fantastic breadth and depth of genres in Indigeonous music, from traditional, to folk, to hip hop. The site features artists such as Ruby Hunter, Archie Roach, Kev Carmody, Dave Arden, Tjimba and the Yung Warriors. There are more than one hundred pages in the works.

Blacklist.org.au is an initiative of Fraynework, a not-for-profit, multimedia and communications solutions provider established by the Sisters of Mercy based in Carlton. 

Victorian Gunditjmara musician, Dave Arden, one of the architects of blacklist.org.au says
“For the first time we have the opportunity to express our culture through an indigenous music portal to the wider national and international audience,

“What I see blacklist.org.au doing is giving indigenous Australia a chance to showcase their art where it’s “hand-on” and we can maintain creative control.”

Ripper - Go check it out!

My feature artist this week was Husky Gawenda, frontman of Melbourne group Husky
They're playing at the Northcote Social Club on Thursday 4th of December, they're absolutely ripper live and I demand you go check them out.

Music Log - the mish mash
  • The Drones - Your Acting's Like The End Of The World
  • The Benson Campaign - Popcharts
  • The Winnie Coopers - Get Up
  • TZU - Got To Do
  • The Millers Tale - Elbow Room
  • Cilla Jane - The Lighthouse Song
  • Eva Popov - Window
  • The Guild League - Dangerous Safety
  • Bertie Blackman - Last Song

Feature Artist - Husky
  • Husky - On Fire
  • Husky - My Heart
  • Joan As Policewoman - Real Life
  • Husky - All Night Conversations
  • Leonard Cohen - Chelsea Hotel Number 2
  • Husky - I'm Not Broken

Do you have tickets to the gun show?

I spoke with Dan Vo about his program The Fool and the Opera which will be airing Sundays at 6 pm over summer on JOY 94.9. He brought in a fab track by Helen Noonan (no relation to K Noo) called Brisbane Ladies. Check out the blog, it's sure to be some great radio.

Catch ya on the flip side yo, stay tuned to JOY 1 pm Sundays for the sensational Three Chords and the Truth, for all the best in blues, folk and gospel. 

WHAT I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO
- Queenscliff Music Festival!
- Jen Cloher, Laura Jean and Liz Stringer at the Corner Hotel on Thursday 27th November
- AIR awards at the Corner Hotel Monday 24th November

MUSIC OBSESSION OF THE WEEK
It's all about Emiliana Torrini for me this week, not particularly local but the Icelandic lady swept me off my feet when I saw her at the Forum last Tuesday night. Brilliant music.