Sunday, October 26, 2008

October 26th

Last night I went to see Black Arm Band at the closing night of the Melbourne International Arts Festival. By far the best gig I've seen in yonks. I laughed, I cried, I had goosebumps aplenty. Tiddas reformed on stage, Gurrumul opened and closed the evening, the highlights were far too huge to list. If this happens again - go see it. It's compulsory.

My feature artist this week was popera songstress Kate Miller-Heidke (introduced on stage by Cyndi Lauper as Kate Miller-Hunky). We talked about recording the new album Curiouser in LA, collaborating with her partner Keir Nuttall, the big hair and the fab frocks, and the correct lyrics of Blinded By The Light by Manfred Mann. 


MUSIC LOG
Kate Miller Heidke - Caught In The Crowd
Kate Miller Heidke - The Last Day On Earth
Kate Miller Heidke - I Like You Better When You're Not Around
Kate Miller Heidke - God's Gift To Women

JENNY'S MISH MASH
The Holidays - When The Ship Goes Down
Skipping Girl Vinegar - River Road
Dan Kelly and the Alpha Males - The SUV  Song
Shane Nicholson - Easy Now
Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunuingu - Bapa
Jen Cloher  Hidden Hands
Anika Moa - Dreams In My Head
Mei Lai Swan - Calling The Sky
John Meyer - Silver Bullets Don't Work On Vampires
Cats Ransom - Mars to Pluto
Josh Pyke - Make You Happy
Augie March - Pennywhistle
Liam Finn - Energy Spent
Alex Hallahan - Good Conversation
Greg Walsh - A Busy Street
Mat McHugh - Under The Landslide
Ponyface - Warning Bell
Andy Baylor - Every Day Is A Song

MUSIC OBSESSION OF THE WEEK
Dan Sultan's album Homemade Biscuits has been getting quite the workout, he was incredible at Black Arm Band. 
Eva Cassidy's various albums have also been flogged to death this week. I'm in a chilled mood.

NEXT WEEK ON LOCAL AND VOCAL
Liz Stringer is coming in to talk about her new album Pendulum, the Broad tour and her gig coming up at the Spiegeltent. 

I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO
- The next installment of puppy school for Happy Jesus, and seeing what insane dog trainer lady says this week about his destiny as a show dog. I should watch Best In Show again.



- Leg It For Leukaemia walk around Albert Park Lake on Sunday morning (2nd Nov).

WHAT I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO
Salt N Pepa at QBH has been CANCELLED. Not happy, dodgy booking agent. Instead I will be sitting at home on Friday night and crying, listening to my SnP cassette tape, failing to push it real good. Sucks to be me, and everyone else in Australia who was looking forward to this for months. 

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE
There are millions of other gigs to go to on Friday night. Listen to the gig guide on Local and Vocal for all your giggy piggy needs. 

No comments: